Monday, January 9, 2012

[628 days]

It's been 628 days since my husband first started working for this company. At first, we didn't know that he'd be hired on through a temp agency-- or that he'd be on with the temp agency for so long.

Part of that is because he's had to cut back on hours in order to take classes at the university. It's also partly due to the fact that he's taken so much time off to do things like our summer conference for overseas students and other trips. After his supervisor told him he'd have to put in 40 hours a week to qualify for permanent hire, he started doing so after spring semester.

That meant sacrifices. He could only join us in the evening for our summer conference. After he started fall semester as a graduate student, he was gone three nights a week. When work required him to work 1-2 hours of overtime, that sometimes meant he was only home for an hour between work and classes.

I missed my husband. I didn't want our daughter to grow up not knowing him. When he'd leave for class, I'd take her to the garage to watch him back out of the driveway. I'd watch her take it all in, trying to process why her daddy was leaving again.

It was hard when he got sick twice, working over 50 hours a week plus school plus studies plus help with the baby. And we began to wonder-- is getting hired on really that important?

Then last week, after he returned to work after Christmas vacation, his supervisor told him that he finally got approval to hire him on with the company. We prayed about it for a day and decided that this was from God. So after 628 days with the temp agency, my husband is finally on payroll with the actual company.

Looking back on this journey, I can't say I enjoyed it all, but I know this was what God needed to do to shake us up and get us on the right track. And while I don't like sharing my husband with his books, I love that he has found something that he thrives on. I honestly believe this is what God created him to do, and I will do everything in my power to help him pursue this dream.

3 comments:

  1. I can identify with a busy husband who is doing what he loves and thrives on. :) So happy for this new employment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...so the next time he's swamped with work and classes, let me know. I'll bring Xiao Ray to come see his Biao Jieh and keep you guys company. (we can work it when my husband's on a business trip.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation! :-)
    I've told this good news to Yuchao. We are so happy for you two~ God does have good plan for good people.

    ReplyDelete